Sessions specifically for cookie and cracker producers:
IBIEducate offers sessions that focus specifically on cookie cracker production.
At IBIE 2022, learn from experts and harness new skills to bring back to your facility. Through the IBIE Super Pass and workshop passes, attend sessions that focus on cookie cracker production.
Here is a taste of the dynamic learning opportunities:
- Plant-Based Ingredients in Cookie and Cracker Production
- Saturday, September 17, 2022 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT Location: W303
- Ovens Panel: Hybrid Ovens for Cookie and Cracker Production
- Saturday, September 17, 2022 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM PT Location: W304
- ABA Gluten Washing Hands-On session (Workshop $100)
- Sunday, September 18, 2022 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM PT Location: RBA Baker Center
- Lessons Learned While Addressing Sesame Seed at Commercial Bakeries
- Sunday, September 18, 2022 9:45 AM – 10:45 AM PT Location: W314
- ABA Understanding Leavening Functionality: Hands-on Workshop (Workshop $100)
- Monday, September 19, 2022 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM PT Location: RBA Baker Center
- Making a Sustainable Cookie: Meeting Consumers' Demands for Greater Ingredient Supply Transparency
- Monday, September 19, 2022 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT Location: W313
Dive Deeper into Each Session:
Plant-Based Ingredients in Cookie and Cracker Production
Saturday, September 17, 2022 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT Location: W303
Join us as we explore plant-based ingredients in cookie and cracker production. Chris Thomas, Project Leader for Technical Service with Ingredion will lay the foundation for the different types of plant-based ingredients and their unique characteristics. Chris will review their nutritional makeup and blend recommendations.
Attendees will learn about the baking process from the production side, addressing differences in time, temperature, and processing. Snehdeep, Director of Technical Services at Lenny and Larry’s will share some troubleshooting methods learned from producing cookies and extruded bars. She will also discuss the sensory differences of working with plant protein and how they navigated the product's different textures, tastes, and feel.
Ovens Panel: Hybrid Ovens for Cookie and Cracker Production
Saturday, September 17, 2022 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM PT Location: W304
The panel discussion will offer a deeper insight into Hybrid Ovens and product outcomes. Brian Strouts, ABA Technical Advisor, will present on the cookie/cracker formula and briefly review the chemical reactions throughout the baking process. For a more in-depth discussion, industry experts Kevin Knott, Technical Sales Manager, Buhler Group, will discuss heat transfer, oven types, the baking curve and the benefits of hybrid processes. Terrence Glackin, Sr Mgr Product Development with Hearthside Food Solutions, will share his experiences with hybrid ovens offering advice from the production perspective. There will be ample opportunities to ask the experts questions.
ABA Gluten Washing Hands-On Session (workshop $100)
Sunday, September 18, 2022 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM PT Location: RBA Baker Center
Description: The gluten washing test is an analysis that provides an indication of the quality and quantity of gluten in wheat flour. The test can be applied to hard and soft wheat flours used in the production of a variety of bakery products.
This hands on session will demonstrate how to perform the simple hand-washing method, discuss flour quality attributes, and show how this test relates to flour applications and performance.
Lessons Learned While Addressing Sesame Seed at Commercial Bakeries
Sunday, September 18, 2022 9:45 AM – 10:45 AM PT Location: W314
Description: On April 23, 2021 the Food Allergy Safety, Treatment, Education, and Research (FASTER) Act of 2021 was signed into law, adding sesame as the ninth major food allergen that manufacturers are required to declare on the labeling of packaged foods. The updated labeling requirements will apply on January 1, 2023. In addition, the FASTER Act requires manufacturers that use sesame to cross-contamination regulations which are included in the Food Safety Modernization Act ("FSMA"). Under FSMA regulations, FDA requires that facilities have preventive controls to minimize the risk of undeclared food allergens.
Since the passage of the FASTER Act, the speakers have led efforts at multiple facilities and multiple companies to prepare for the January 2023 date. The goal of the session will be to review the FASTER Act, its impact on bakers and what efforts which have been taken to minimize and how successful they have been to reduce the potential of cross contamination in facilities attempting to run products with and without seeds.
ABA Understanding Leavening Functionality: Hands-on Workshop (workshop $100)
Monday, September 19, 2022 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM PT Location: RBA Baker Center
Description: An interactive lesson plan where participants will first attend a lecture on the Fundamentals of Ingredients. Post-lecture, attendees will go through a series of iteration and manipulate each ingredient to show how we can change the physical and textural properties of a cookie.
Making a Sustainable Cookie: Meeting Consumers' Demands for Greater Ingredient Supply Transparency
Monday, September 19, 2022 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT Location: W313
Description: What are consumers expecting from a sustainable bakery product? What do the terms transparency and sustainability mean in the context of bakery supply chains? How can sustainable supply chains lead to beneficial outcomes for people and the planet?
In this session, Cargill and Innova Market Insights will unpack the buzz words and provide concrete examples of how ingredient suppliers and bakery brands are working together to create a more transparent and sustainable future for the bakery industry. You will:
- Receive exclusive trends and insights on sustainability and transparency from Innova Market Insights.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the term "transparency" in the context of food supply chains.
- Gain insight into the different ways transparency can be achieved, touching on elements such as traceability, third-party certification and more.
- Learn how to make a cookie with ingredients from sustainable, traceable supply chains.