February 18-20, 2013
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort
Map and Compass Required: Navigating the Maze of Regulations in 2013
Join Peter Susser, Shareholder with Littler (BIO), as he guides conference attendees through the expected maze of regulations coming our way in 2013, such as:
- Ambush Elections - The National Labor Relations Board tried to pass an ambush election proposal in 2012 but was held back due to procedural issues. With a five member board, will the NLRB move forward with their original, more caustic ambush election proposal now that President Obama has won a second term?
- Persuader Activity - The U.S. Department of Labor held on to their proposal to all but eliminate the "advice exemption" from persuader activity during the 112th Congress, but will the DOL take the November elections as a cue of support and move forward with this proposal in 2013?
- Independent Contractor Reclassification - Although Congress isn't likely to support reforming Section 530 Safe Harbor laws, the Administration may move forward with "Right to Know" proposals that would significantly impact the way that your company may utilize independent distributors.
On the Agenda:
To Pay or Play, Here to Stay: An In-depth look at the employer "pay or play" mandate
Judith Wethall, Shareholder, Littler (BIO)
Join Judith at the ABA HR and Labor Conference as she discusses the 2014 "pay or play" mandate. She will present a clear synopsis of the mandate, including the calculation of penalties. In addition, Judith will model sample census scenarios which will demonstrate the strategy behind the determination to "pay or play."
The Baking Industry as an Employer of Choice Among the Veteran Community
American Institute of Baking
AIB International has partnered with baking companies to provide internship and employment opportunities to military veterans. Many veterans have experience in food service, and others have maintenance and repair skills that can be easily adapted to fill the needs of baking companies. Join AIB at the upcoming ABA HR and Labor Conference to learn more about how your company can tap into veteran community. Click here for more information.
Talent Management Workshop
Dave Brookmire, President, Corporate Performance Strategies
Back by popular demand, Dave Brookmire, President of Corporate Performance Strategies (BIO), will be leading a workshop on talent management strategies. This promises to be much more than just a simple presentation – Dave will work with attendees to answer critical questions regarding their specific talent management needs. In this workshop, Dave will help you answer questions regarding:
- What are the strategic priorities and business drivers for more effective and consistent talent management practices?
- What are the requirements for success in the critical roles within the baking industry? What core competencies are needed to help focus your company's talent management efforts?
- How do the HR systems support the development of talent? How does their company's selection, development, performance management and succession planning tie into the talent management process?
Hiring Our Heroes – An update on the Chamber of Commerce program seeking to help veterans re-enter the workforce
Ross Cohen, Senior Director of Programs and Operations, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Click here for more information on this event, including hotel reservation information.